Every car owner should understand how unsafe it is to leave the vehicle under the sun for an extended period. However, there are times when you are left with no choice but to park the car in an open space. During the summer season, your car can be dangerously hot. It is even more alarming when you have passengers inside, especially kids.
When you park your car, it can get even hotter than the temperature outside. For instance, the Australian summer may be around 29 degrees. However, your car can reach scorching 44 degrees if you left it parked even for just 10 minutes. Another 10 minutes and the car can hit a deadly 60-degree. Lives are endangered when you do not take proper precautions. Leaving your windows a few centimetres open will not help much.
Even if there is no one in the car, the vehicle is suffering as well. Many car owners do not realise that the vehicles, no matter how tough their exteriors may be, are not designed to be heat-proof. Both new and used cars require protection from the heat of the sun.
Extended heat exposure can damage both the interiors and exteriors of the car. Plus, the battery and the engine can deteriorate, too. As you can see, it is not just the human skin that needs protection against the harmful UV rays, especially in the summer.
Effective Methods for Car Protection against Heat
You undoubtedly care for your car as much as you care for yourself. Therefore, it makes complete sense to be prepared before the summer starts. The question is: how do you protect your car from the blazing sun? Let us help you find the best solutions and products.
During the summer, UV rays are at their most potent levels. When you leave your car outdoors with no shade, the coating of the car can quickly oxidise.
Of course, you will not notice it in the beginning. However, if you keep parking in an open space with absolutely no protection for your vehicle, you will soon see the colour fading or changing. It is not a modification that you would even want to witness. Additionally, the coating can become brittle.
So, what can you do about this problem? Here are our tips:
- Park under the shade. It is the most natural solution, yet many drivers are too lazy to find the perfect spot. Even if you will leave the car for a short time, exert some effort in locating a good place to park for your car. Trust us; you will not regret it.
- Wash and dry. Summertime is perhaps the best time to show your car some TLC. Wash it more frequently to remove debris, minerals, and bugs. If you leave them there, the remains could react with the sun’s high heat. Don’t forget to install bug screens to prevent the radiator from overheating due to blockage.
- Wax it. Pamper your car by waxing with some sunscreen. It helps maintain the colour of the car and protects the paint against UV rays.
As part of the car’s exterior, be sure to check the tyres as well. During summer, they have a higher risk of blowing out because of the increased temperature.
Interiors are equally important as the car’s exteriors. Passengers rely on the protection you provide them. Also, heat can damage the upholstery and other components, including the steering wheel and dashboard. Follow these tips to keep the interior nice and sturdy:
- Use windshield protectors. The front interior is subjected to high heat almost all the time. If you do not shield it against the sun, your car’s dashboard will take the damage, particularly if you park in an open area. The steering wheel can also suffer, causing it to crack because of the intense heat. Using protectors for your windshield can drastically reduce the amount of sunlight that can affect the front part of the vehicle.
- Install sun shades. Window Sox offers the best protection for anyone inside the car, from your children to other adults to pets. The product is made of fine mesh that you can quickly fit over the passenger-door window frame. For more information, please read our blog post about how you can protect your passengers using Window Sox.
- Protect the dashboard. Use Dash Mate to keep your dashboard in ideal shape and condition. This product is created with a high-tech fabric that can be moulded into the shape of your dashboard. It is quick and easy to install. It also provides other benefits, including breathability and moisture and discolouration prevention.
You may also get your windows tinted, which helps in reducing the heat that enters the car interiors. And just like the exterior, you should also spend more time cleaning the inside of the vehicle. Dust and debris accumulation can damage the upholstery and can be difficult to fix.
You can also install seat covers, which are available here at Shevron. They help avoid cracks and visible shine loss, which are common issues due to prolonged heat exposure.