Vehicle care is a crucial component of vehicle maintenance. The dashboard is one of the most important parts of your car’s interior, and it should be cleaned regularly. This post will discuss everything you need to know about cleaning your car’s dashboard.
Why Do I Need To Clean A Car Dashboard?
Your car’s dashboard is more than just a platform for radios and air conditioners. It also serves as your vehicle’s control centre, providing critical information such as fuel level, speed, and other vital information. Here are a few reasons why you should clean your car dashboard regularly.
A dusty dashboard can impede visibility and make reading things like speed, fuel levels, and other display gauges difficult. This can be dangerous while driving.
A clean dashboard not only looks better but also improves the general appearance of your vehicle’s interior. With time, dirt, dust, and grime accumulate, making your dashboard bland and untidy.
You may wish to sell or trade in your automobile in the future. A potential customer will prefer a clean dashboard with no scratches, stains, odours, or damage to a neglected one.
Over time, dirt can build up on your dashboard and causes scratches and other cosmetic damage, which reduce the value of your vehicle. Regular dashboard cleaning can help maintain your vehicle’s original look.
The accumulation of dust and debris on your dashboard could be detrimental to your health. These particles float around in the air, causing allergies and other respiratory problems.
What Do I Need To Clean A Car Dashboard?
To clean your car’s dashboard, you’ll need a few items. You most likely already own some of these items at home. If not, here’s a list of what you will need.
- Dash polish
- Microfiber towels
- An upholstery and interior cleaning spray
- A vacuum with a brush attachment
- Soft bristle brush
Steps To Clean Your Dashboard
Here are the steps for cleaning a car’s dashboard with these items.
1. Remove Loose Debris
Use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to remove loose dirt from the dashboard. This will help remove dust, crumbs, and other types of dirt. This step may appear insignificant, but do not dismiss it. During cleaning, dust, crumbs, and grime can easily spread and damage the dashboard. As a result, getting rid of them before you start cleaning is critical.
2. Apply Upholstery and Interior Cleaning Spray
Next, spray an upholstery and interior cleaning spray onto a microfiber towel. However, keep in mind not to spray cleaner straight onto the dashboard. It may oversaturate and cause damage. Wipe the dashboard with a towel and get into all the cracks and crevices. Remember to wipe the steering wheel as well. This is one of the dirtiest sections of your vehicle, so clean it thoroughly. Be careful not to use too much cleaner on your dashboard devices such as your infotainment system. It can get into small gaps and damage them.
3. Use a Soft Bristle Brush
Scrub the dashboard lightly with a soft-bristle brush to remove stubborn stains and hard-to-reach places. These include places like the centre console, air vents, cup holders, and temperature controls. Avoid using too much force, since this may result in scratches.
4. Wipe Down With a Dry Microfiber Towel
After using the cleaning spray and brush, wipe down the dashboard with a dry microfiber towel. This will help in removing any remaining cleaner and polishing the dashboard.
5. Apply Dash Polish
Apply a small amount of dash polish with a clean microfiber towel. Apply the polish in a circular pattern with a light touch. This will help to protect the dashboard from UV radiation and keep it in shape.
6. Buff the Dashboard
Wipe the dashboard with a clean microfiber towel after applying the dash polish. This will help remove any excess polish, leaving the surface shiny and polished.
Do’s and Don’ts of Cleaning a Car Dashboard
We’ve established that cleaning a car dashboard is important for both aesthetics and vehicle life. Nevertheless, not all cleaning processes are equal, and some may end up causing more damage than good. Here are some do’s and don’ts of cleaning a car dashboard.
- Use a microfiber cloth: A microfiber cloth is ideal for cleaning the dashboard. It is soft, and gentle, and can pick up dust and grime without scratching the surface.
- Use a dashboard cleaner: A dashboard cleaner is made solely for cleaning vehicle dashboards. It removes dust, dirt, and grime without damaging the surface. Before applying the cleaner, carefully read the instructions.
- Start with dry cleaning: Consider dry cleaning first before applying a cleaning product. This prevents surface scratches produced by scraping dirt and debris.
- Use a small brush: If there are hard-to-reach areas, use a small brush to remove dirt and dust. You can use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Protect with a UV blocker: Once you are done cleaning your dashboard, cover it with a UV blocker. This will protect the surface from fading and cracking due to extended exposure to sunlight.
- Use abrasive materials: Avoid using abrasive items such as scouring pads, steel wool, or pointed brushes. They can scratch or damage the surface of the dashboard.
- Use ammonia-based cleaners: Ammonia-based cleaners can discolour or damage the dashboard surface. Instead, use specialized dashboard cleaners.
- Spray directly on the surface: Avoid spraying the cleaning solution directly on the dashboard surface. Cleaning solutions may leak into vents and electronic components, causing damage.
- Use too much water: Too much water can damage the dashboard. Use a moist cloth instead of soaking the dashboard in water.
- Use wax or polish: Waxes and polishes can leave residue on the dashboard, attracting dust and debris. It also makes the dashboard greasy, which can be dangerous while driving.
How Often Do I Need To Clean a Car Dashboard
How often you should clean your car dashboard is determined by many factors. These include: how frequently you drive your vehicle, the environment to which it is exposed, and how clean you want your car to be. Clean your automobile dashboard at least once a month to prevent dust and debris from accumulating.
How Can Dashboard Covers Help?
A car dashboard cover is a protective item fitted to keep the dashboard of your vehicle clean and safe. Here are some perks to using a dash cover.
Prevents Dust and Debris
A dashboard cover helps keep your dashboard free from dust and debris that can accumulate over time. This is especially important if you live in a dusty area or frequently park your car in a garage or outside. A cover will help prevent scratches, dirt, and other debris from accumulating on your dashboard.
If you’re driving in bright sunlight, a dashboard cover can reduce glare, making it easier to see the road ahead. This is especially helpful if you frequently drive during the day or in areas with a lot of sunlight.
Preserves the Value of Your Car
Car dashboard covers can keep the quality of your car’s interiors protected for a long time, preserving its quality. Shevron Car Accessories also offers some of the best interior car accessories that can protect the value of your car. These include the following:
Cleaning your vehicle’s dashboard is critical. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can now clean your vehicle’s dashboard effectively and safely.